If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Look what the swell washed in

The first significant swell of the season rolled in during the last couple of days.  In the early evening I went out to the bluff edge for a quick look to see how the waves had impacted the beach, and was surprised to see another face looking up at me:


Young Northern Elephant Seals (Mirounga angustirostris) show up on Bodega Head occasionally, but their appearance doesn't seem predictable to me yet.  I don't look around and think, "Ah, this is an elephant seal day."  

Instead, I'm often walking the beach and almost stumble into them before noticing that they're there.

I'm guessing this seal had sought a place to rest while the ocean was churned up with a large northwest swell and foam.

No comments: