If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Gloriosa part 2


This moth was waiting for me when I arrived home from work tonight.  So beautiful!

Here's a view from above:


Those L-shaped markings on the forewings were vaguely familiar.  I searched the blog website and found this entry from 18 March 2012.  Although this individual is paler, and tonight's date is earlier in the year, I think it's probably the same species perhaps Cerastis gloriosa.

The next image shows the same moth with its wings closed:


And one more view from the front:



P.S.  I like the head-on view for a variety of reasons.  The shimmering scales are very attractive.  But here I go again revealing something about my past.  I'm a big fan of the Muppets!  There's something about the appearance of this moth that reminds me of members of the house band on The Muppet Show — a combination of Animal (mostly) and Janice (the blond scales flaring back above the moth's eyes).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's those heavy eyebrows that make me agree with the Muppet band correlation...

jennifer