If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Late summer night

Just a few quick shots of the White-tailed Kites coming in to roost tonight (16 September 2017):

 



Since the kites fly in just before sunset, the light is quite dim.  I don't have the right camera lens for these conditions, so most of my shots are blurry, but even so, I can't help sharing this one (below).  I love that you can still see the coloration of the young bird on the rightthe beautiful rust color on the breast and the grayish cap:


There were interesting conditions and behaviors tonight.  It was one of those late summer nights that makes you want to linger outside, and the kites seemed to think so, too!  They perched high on the trees overlooking the roost site, kept circling around high above, and they stayed out until it was almost too dark to see them.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend time watching kites!
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, The last sentence in today's post deserves a comment. You say "I'm so thankful for the opportunity to spend time watching kites!" Just want you to know I'm thankful for your daily presence in my inbox. You make my day start a little brighter. Thank you. Robert

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Robert!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad to hear that the Natural History of Bodega Head brings a little light to your morning. It means a lot to me to hear back from folks who are reading these posts.

I really appreciate the chance to make connections with other people who believe in being attentive and learning and expressing gratitude for the natural world around us.

Thanks so much for writing and observing with me!

Jackie