If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, June 3, 2018

Flower party



A couple of days ago, we stopped very briefly to look at some beautiful Pacific Rhododendron (Rhododendron macrophyllum) flowers at the Kruse Rhododendron State Natural Reserve.

When I was reviewing the photos, I was intrigued by the anthers (the male parts that produce pollen).  Up close, it looks like each anther has little "googly eyes."  It made me laugh because I imagined there was a little party going on, with everyone gathered at the center of the flower (not such a bad place for a party!).  Check it out:



2 comments:

Lotsoflux said...

Wonderful picture, how observant. And I love the little story you made up.

"Shall we dance?" Or, "Here's lookin' at you."

Anonymous said...

Spot on, Jackie! Googley eyes for sure!
Never looked at a rhodie that close before!
A. in Seb.