If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, September 6, 2018

A tale of tattlers

This is one of my favorite local shorebirds.  Here's a series of Wandering Tattler (Tringa incana) images from 6 September 2018.

Four different individuals, first two active and then two resting:





One individual, alert and then asleep:





In flight (a nice view of the feathers):



A distant photo, but showing a tattler just after it had caught a very large isopod (most likely Pentidotea wosnesenskii):


5 comments:

WallaWalla said...

Wandering Tattler!?! What a great name--do you know the origin/reason?

WallaWalla said...

I just found it on the Cornell ornithology webpage--it's because they travel so much and their calls alert other birds.
But in French they are "chevalier errant," which means "wandering knights!"

Jackie Sones said...

Fun! Thanks for pursuing the name!

I was curious about the "incana" portion of the scientific name. Looks like it means "gray," which seems appropriate.

:) Jackie

Anonymous said...

Fabulous pictures! Did you see these on your survey yesterday?

Carol

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Carol!

No, the survey in the harbor was on the 7th. I've seen three tattlers at one time before, but I think this is the first time I've seen four.

Here's the post when I saw three back in 2012:

http://bodegahead.blogspot.com/2012/07/vermiculations-and-rippled-trill.html

:) Jackie