If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, November 2, 2018

Waiting

This week I felt lucky to catch another glimpse of a local River Otter (Lontra canadensis) family.  This time they were fishing along the rocky shore.  While the mother was swimming and diving offshore, two young otters waited expectantly for her return.

First, the mom, diving below the surface:



And the two little ones, looking out to sea, wondering where she is and what she'll bring back:


(They didn't have to wait too long for dinnermom was successful and returned with a very nice fish!)

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

I love the story these photos tell. Those two youngsters look healthy and happy!

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Alice! I agree -- the body positions of the young otters communicate so much. I have a few other photos of them "entertaining" themselves while waiting for their mother. Perhaps I'll be able to share a few more images this week.

:) Jackie