If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Adrift


I ran out of time tonight, but I'll leave you with a couple of mystery photos to ponder.  I'll post more photos and information about them tomorrow night.

We noticed these blue-gray patches on a few Sea Palms (Postelsia palmaeformis) that had drifted and then washed up on Salmon Creek Beach on 15 May 2015.

Can you guess what the patches are?

Here's another clue — well, at least it's a close-up that reveals a little bit more:


Tune in tomorrow for the answer!
 

3 comments:

Matt Robart said...

Lepas cyprids?

Jackie Sones said...

Score one for Matt Robart!

I'll explain more tonight, but Matt guessed correctly -- these are very dense patches of pelagic barnacle cyprids (the settling stage). Lepas is the genus.

Matt Robart said...

Sweet, those 1000s of hours on a scope have finally paid off!