If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Green on gray


I photographed this small green moth in Bodega Bay on 6 July 2014.  From a distance I thought it was a patch of lichen on the wood.

It's a longer story, but I don't have any moth identification books with me right now, so at the moment I don't have a chance at identifying this moth.  But I was so taken by the color pattern that I couldn't resist sharing this image with you.  And who knows, perhaps someone out there will be able to help with the identification?

1 comment:

woodworth said...

An exceptionally beautiful image, even my your standards, Jackie, thank you! And for some reason -- not related at all to the patterning of this moth! -- it made me think of the moths Darwin studied, that evolved their colour camouflage to adapt to increasingly grimy industrialisation