If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Heralding the arrival of spring


I'm glad that Michelle and Kyle mentioned that you can find Trillium near the side of the road in Occidental.  I stopped briefly to take a few pictures on 18 March 2015.

This is Western Trillium or Western Wakerobin (Trillium ovatum).  Having spent most of my time at the ocean, I don't have a lot of experience with them.  I read that while most are white when they start flowering, they fade to a deep-rose color.

Here are two more examples of flowers that are further along:



"Trillium" refers to the flower parts coming in sets of threes (see below).  I wondered about the name "wakerobin."  I found a few references online that explained the name derives from the fact that these flowers bloom at the same time that robins are heralding the arrival of spring.



This is a good time of year to see Trilliums catch them if you can!
 

No comments: