If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cloudlets


I didn't get to post these pictures from 28 August 2015.  Just before sunset, the sky was filled with "popcorn" clouds.  Perhaps you saw them, too?

Here's a description of these cirrocumulus clouds from The Weather Network: 

"These high-altitude "popcorn" cloudlets can be a harbinger of unsettled weather. If they occur with cirrus and cirrostratus clouds spreading broadly across the sky, they may mean rain is on the way within 8-12 hours."


Sure enough, rain followed these clouds in the early morning of 29 August.  During the past 10 years, I remember rain (although rare) in June/July, but I'm having trouble recalling rain in August.  It was light and didn't amount to much about 0.8 mm (1/32 inch) in Bodega Bay — but it was nice waking up to the sounds of raindrops. 

1 comment:

Linda C said...

Nice to meet you on Sunday's Pelagic trip, Jackie. I see your beautiful blog is about what matters to me: looking up, paying attention, and one of my favorite spots on the planet. Thanks!