If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Like crystal

I took a short walk on Salmon Creek Beach yesterday, and was intrigued to see this animal left behind after a wave retreated:


It looked so delicate...like crystal...and then it moved slightly and I realized it was alive!

Do you recognize this animal?  (Hint: I have shown this species on the blog before, but it was several years ago.)

Here's a close-up:



And one more view after it shifted so that it was on its back:


This is Phronima sedenteria, a pelagic amphipod.  I found two of them yesterday this one was without a home, while the other was still living inside a salp.

For an introduction (or a review) about this fascinating amphipod, check out the "Otherworldly" post from 8 April 2012.

P.S.  This was one of two interesting amphipods I encountered yesterday...stay tuned for #2!
   

No comments: