If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, September 25, 2017

Anglewings or tortoiseshells?

It seemed like every time I stepped out of the office today, I saw 1-2 butterflies zipping by.  I brought my camera along several times, but the butterflies didn't stop long enough for a photo.  

I'm still not sure if they were Satyr Anglewings (Polygonia satyrus), or perhaps California Tortoiseshells (Nymphalis californica)?  

(There were several reports of California Tortoiseshells along the Marin and Sonoma coasts today.)

If the butterflies are around tomorrow, I'll try again.  

For now, here's a Satyr Anglewing from Bodega Head in 2012:


I haven't (knowingly) seen a California Tortoiseshell on Bodega Head, but here's a link to some photos so you know what to look for.

No comments: