If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 22, 2018

A green-eyed welcome!

What a nice welcome to Massachusetts!  This is one of my favorite groups of dragonflies.  A beautiful Clamp-tipped Emerald (Somatochlora tenebrosa):


I'm on way out "out-the-door," so I don't have time to figure out which species this is yet (but now updated above and below).  But here are a couple of close-ups in case someone wants to help me with the i.d.

A close-up of the eyes and the thoracic markings:



And the terminal appendages, which are pretty impressive!



(P.S. I'll have intermittent Internet access this week, but I'll post when I can!)

ADDENDUM (25 September 2018): Just back with Internet access today.  A couple of nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night with the word "tenebrosa" in my head.  I haven't had to identify emeralds since moving to California, but my brain must have retained enough to work its way (slowly) to the identification of this dragonfly.  I've updated the name at the top of this post.


No comments: