If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Color coordinated

A few quick pictures of one of my favorite local moths (photographed on 15 September 2018).  Note how the patterns on the legs match the wings!


We moved this Painted Tiger Moth (Arachnis picta) to a safe spot.

Although gray and black and white above, the underwings and abdomen of this species are quite colorful:



I've always been curious about the red coloration on its front legs.  Why so colorful there?



Here's an even closer view:


The bright red color in that position reminded me of another beautiful species that I photographed in Sebastopol several years ago.  Do you remember the Goddess of the Hearth?  Click on this link to see the Vestal Tiger Moth (Spilosoma vestalis) from 21 April 2012.

I've written about Painted Tiger Moths a few times, so if you'd like to learn more, or to enjoy some more photos, you can review these posts:

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs every day, it helps connect me with local nature and always teaches me something new (even if some days are WAY over my head!) Your photography is always amazing, but this is especially beautiful. What are you using to take your photos?
thank you

Anonymous said...

I love these photos. What interesting moths. You certainly wouldn't know they were so colorful if you only saw them hunkered down. Thanks Jackie.

Carol

Jackie Sones said...

Hi! Thanks! Yes, I was thinking about the similarity to underwing moths with the subtle-above-and-bright-below coloration. Eric read that the combination might be helpful for startling predators, momentarily giving the moth a chance to escape.

Also, re: the camera that I used when taking these moth photographs. I'm a big fan of the Olympus Tough point-and-shoot camera. It's easy to use and takes amazing close-ups when using its "microscope mode."

:) Jackie