If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, August 17, 2015

You know it's hot when...

...jellyfish are washing up on the beach?

Stranded jellyfish aren't necessarily directly related to hot air temperatures, although we often see jellies washing up in mid-late summer.  

I heard some heat records were set yesterday, so I was trying to come up with a picture that could represent how hot it was.  I'm afraid I failed, but I can show a nice Moon Jelly (Aurelia sp.) that I photographed on 15 August 2015.  [It reminded me of a fried egg, and the accompanying saying, "It's so hot outside, you could fry an egg."]


And the following image is a Sea Nettle (Chrysaora fuscescens) from 5 August 2015.  These are the two most common jellyfish that was ashore during summer.

P.S.  I'll wrap up with a bonus question for Dave Matthews Band enthusiasts.  Can you name the song that has the fried egg saying mentioned above in the lyrics?  The answer is below the picture.


P.P.S.  The DMB song is "Stay (Wasting Time)."  Stay cool! 
 

1 comment:

Leth Benz said...

Great depiction, Jackie!