If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Jack

I know some people will think I'm crazy, but I'm always excited when there's a chance of seeing frost here.  It's not as common on the coast, but here are a few pictures from several fence posts between Sebastopol and Bodega Bay.

The frost crystals were very long, making these lichens look like miniature trees!



The next photo shows a variety of crystals that formed on a small clump of moss.



And one more, showing sparkling crystals on a crustose lichen.


All of these images were taken in a field next to a stream in a low-lying valley on 19 December 2012.

I think the last time we had snow was in 2005.  I still dream about sledding and snowball fights, but for now I'll thank Jack Frost for providing wonderful views of winter wonderlands.  (Now if only I could shrink down to walk among the tiny crystalline trees!)

No comments: