If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fluid and evanescent

Two of the items on my birthday wish list included a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to see the John Singer Sargent Watercolors exhibit and a walk to look for a Snowy Owl.  Today we accomplished the first and tomorrow we'll attempt the second!

I've always been awestruck by Sargent's ability to depict reflections on water.  And seeing his paintings in person just increased my wonder and appreciation for his skill.  You can understand why the Wall Street Journal used words like fluid and evanescent when describing his work.

I didn't take any pictures today, but here's an image of reflections on water from Tomales Bay in August 2012.  It's very abstract, but it's the first picture that came to mind when I thought about the Sargent paintings.


If you happen to be in the Boston area and can make it to the Sargent exhibit, I highly recommend it!  And around the corner in a smaller gallery room, don't miss Audubon's Birds, Audubon's Words.  The extra large John James Audubon prints include American White Pelican, Great Auk, and Ivory-billed Woodpecker among others. 



No comments: