If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, June 22, 2015

Name that flower


This is Microseris bigelovii, a nice annual wildflower that grows along the coast.  The Jepson Manual doesn't list a common name for it.  When I realized that, I thought it deserved a common name, so I started playing around with ideas.

Below I'll tell you the name I came up with, and here's a hint: I'm not sure you can tell from this picture, but it has a very pretty orange hue.  Do you want to try to come up with a common name?

So I've decided to call this flower Bigelow's Tangerine.  It has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?  And it describes the petal color and refers to the person for whom it was named.

Later I learned that Microseris bigelovii is sometimes called Coastal Silverpuffs, in reference to the rounded head of seeds (similar to a dandelion).  But I think I'll keep calling it Bigelow's Tangerine.  I can't help it...it sounds exotic, and it's fun to say!

Let me know if you came up with other ideas!

P.S.  This flower was named after Dr. John Milton Bigelow a professor of botany at Detroit Medical College who participated in the Pacific Railroad Survey of 1853-1854 and several other collecting trips in California.

No comments: