If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Fluffy, like granite

A few years ago, I posted a series of pictures documenting the development of 'Summersalt,' a juvenile Black Oystercatcher.  To review that story, see the post from 17 August 2012.

Today, while returning from a different type of survey, I accidentally passed by a young Black Oystercatcher being guarded by its parent.  I was a good distance away, but luckily I had my long lens on the camera.  So I took a few quick photos and then moved on.  I cropped this photo substantially to focus on the chick.


It's amazing how well it blends in with the surrounding rocks.  If the adult oystercatcher hadn't given an alarm call, I don't think I would have seen the chick.

We're lucky to have these beautiful shorebirds nesting along our coast!

No comments: