If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Breathe, sip, sigh...

What a crazy day — an air temperature of 84°F (29°C) in Bodega Bay on April 6th!  The heat created dramatic mirages along the horizon in the early evening (those pictures will take a little longer to sort out). 

For now, I'll show a few other favorite sightings from today:


Spouts of two Humpback Whales (Megaptera novaeangliae)




Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia) nectaring on a Seaside Daisy (Erigeron glaucus)




Looking west across Bodega Harbor at sunset

2 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Wonderful photos, Jackie, all of them. I especially like the Common Buckeye butterfly. I'm looking forward to the mirage photos.

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Dan! Yes, I'm excited to share the mirage photos. I'm hoping to take pictures of the same scenes without a mirage for comparison. I don't have much experience evaluating mirages, but it appears that I might have captured 3 or more inverted images.