If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A closer look

I received quite a few e-mails and comments about last night's mystery object (thank you!)...but as of tonight, it still remains a mystery. 

There are some ideas floating around, but none have been confirmed.  We're starting to lean towards an invertebrate, rather than a vertebrate.  And our strongest leaning is towards a fossil barnacle (at least as of 9 p.m. on 29 March 2017).  [Note: Although some aspects of this object look barnacle-like, others do not, so we're still looking for assistance with the identification.]

We're continuing to work on the identity of this object, so I thought I'd share a few more images, in case they're helpful.

A nice scan of two different sides:



I need to take a better picture of the wider, open end, but here's one view of the interior edge (looking down into the hollowed portion at the top of the first photo):



The photo above was taken under a microscope.  I was so intrigued by the patterning that I zoomed in even closer:


I'm not sure whether this helps with the identificationit might just be a pattern that developed while the object was being fossilized.

I'll provide updates if we learn more...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie. What about a fossilized crab pincer? Apart from its size, it looks a bit like some I've seen in Chesapeake fossil collections. - Sarit

Unknown said...

It's wrong for a crab pincer, too: not completely hollow, wrong grain. That close-up shot is very intriguing! I'm going to guess it's modern but the Fossil Forum folks should be able to help anyway.
-Carl