If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Bold

We were doing some yard work this afternoon, when Eric noticed a very dark spider.  I was excited to see that it was a jumping spider with iridescent green chelicera.  Here it is after launching onto Eric's hand (!):


Meet the Bold Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax).  "Bold" is an appropriate name for this species — it was very active and an incredible jumper, covering distances many times its own body length.

Here's a close-up:



As you can see, this spider is predominantly black, but there are silvery bands on the legs and white markings on the abdomen:


It was fun to meet this spider during an afternoon of chores.

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

They are so beautiful!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Alice!

I agree -- this spider was striking. I loved the combination of deep black, bright white, and iridescent green.

:) Jackie