If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Just right

I knew it as soon as I started walking along the trail. The weather was just right for dragonflies on Bodega Head todaywarm and sunny with just a slight breeze.  I was working outside for a little while this afternoon and was lucky to capture a few quick pictures for the record:

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella)



Common Green Darner (Anax junius



Blue-eyed Darner (Rhionaeschna multicolor



 Black Saddlebags (Tramea lacerata)
 


Western Pondhawk (Erythemis collocata


In addition to the species above, I also observed Spot-winged Glider (Pantala hymenaea), Wandering Glider (Pantala flavescens), Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum), and a fly-by dragonfly that was probably a Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata).  That was a total of nine species of dragonflies on Bodega Head this afternoon (my personal record is 10 species in one day on Bodega Head — see the post from 15 August 2015).

No comments: