If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Places to rest

A couple of days ago I had another really lucky encounter with River Otters (Lontra canadensis).  Fortunately, I had a large zoom lens on my camera and I was pretty far away in a position where the otters couldn't see me.  These are my favorite situations, when you can observe animals' natural behavior without disturbing them.  

I cropped the photos afterwards and put together a short series of highlights.  The entire observation period was ~50 minutes total.  I'm very grateful for this special glimpse into the life of River Otters.  I hope you enjoy learning about them, too!

A mother and two pups rolling in the gritty sand along the edge of a coastal bluff (perhaps to help dry off?):



Taking a nap together in the sun: 



Waking up and preparing for another adventure: 



Waiting for mom to scope out the scene:



Following the rocks down to the water: 



Going for a swim:
 

Not a bad way to spend part of an afternoon!  These observations made me think more about how River Otters might use coastal bluffs and protected channels and pools and made me feel happy that they can find quiet places to rest.

5 comments:

Alice Chan said...

Amazing series of photos. Thank you SO much!

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Alice! Glad you liked them. I felt lucky to spend a little time with the otters and to share their adventures with you.

:) Jackie

Doerte Mann said...

Nice shots! I was kayaking at the mouth of Tomales Bay today and also observed a couple river otters. They were in the water and I assumed they were 2 adults, but I am not totally sure - at some point it looked like they were 3. Great time to be out there for sure.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting these exquisite photos...They made my day!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Jeff! Thanks! I'm so glad that you liked them. It was so much fun to watch the otters and to photograph a few moments in their lives. I think they're some of my favorite photos of the year so far!

:) Jackie