If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Reaching for the...

...flies!
 
 
Near the Bodega Bay Post Office this afternoon (7 September 2021), I noticed several Red-necked Phalaropes (Phalaropus lobatus) feeding near the shoreline in Bodega Harbor.  It must be a good spot for catching flies.  I'm guessing this site is in a bit of a lee and that the flies are concentrated here and perhaps easier to catch.  [Dragonflies do this, too
feed on flying insects in the lee of trees and shrubs.]

I have some more questions and perhaps some video of this fly-catching behavior, but I'm running out of time tonight, so here are a couple of photos for now.  
 
Above, I'm guessing you'll be able to spot the fly just ahead of the phalarope's bill.  And below, note the fly that's just been caught and is visible at the tip of the phalarope's bill.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]


No comments: