If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Salamander weather

  

Today's rain reminded me of this salamander that I photographed earlier in the month.  I think this is a Speckled Black Salamander (Aneides flavipunctatus).  I haven't seen this species before, so if you disagree with my i.d., please let me know as I'm open to feedback!

I'm still learning about this species, but it appears to have a fairly restricted distribution, e.g., from about Sonoma County north to southern Humboldt County.

Here's a view of the entire animal (below).  Note the very dark background color:

 
From the forecast, it sounds like we'll be seeing salamander weather for a little while!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful!

Alice Chan said...

I love this little guy!