If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, December 15, 2023

December sun

  

I went for a short walk in the woods today and came across this small snake sunning among the needles and leaves.  I think it's a Common Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis).  Although it's mid-December, the air temperature reached ~53°F (~12°C) in Walpole, Massachusetts, this afternoon.  Warm enough to do some exploring and to catch some rays!

 
 

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

Oh, what a nice find! I love garter snakes. Thanks for these photos!

Peter Connors said...

Jackie, I had forgotten how dull the eastern version of the garter snake is, compared with our more colorful local versions in Sonoma County. Good spotting!