If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, September 14, 2024

A sky like no other

  

Northern lights near Hvolsvöllur in southern Iceland on 9 September 2024.   

None of us had experience photographing the northern lights, but my niece took some nice photos with her smartphone!

 
 
Here's one more of my mom, sister, and me...a memorable night!

 
P.S.  Many thanks to Katie for sharing these great photos!

4 comments:

John W. Wall said...

Wow, never would have guessed they were from a smartphone. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Wow, spectacular! Thanks for sharing and thank you, Jackie for all the great work you and your team does for our planet and I love receiving your posts on this blog! Happy Autumn, Mo

Anonymous said...

Jackie, These photos are great! Thank you so much for sharing.

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, all!

Thanks so much!

I don't know the specifics, but apparently the sensors in the newest smartphones can "see" the light better than our eyes. So it's easier to view and photograph the northern lights with them. (Some folks had older smartphones and that colors didn't show up as well.)

I don't have a new smartphone, and I didn't have the right lens with me for night photography, so I'm glad my niece had a phone that allowed us to appreciate this phenomenon!

Jackie