If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, October 14, 2024

A fish sampler?

  

Got lucky and noticed this River Otter (Lontra canadensis) at the north end of Bodega Harbor on my way back from the post office today (14 October 2024).  The otter was having a lot of luck, too -- I saw it catch at least three fish in a very short time!  Above, with a flatfish...

Below, with some sort of gunnel?  (Let me know if you can tell what it is!)

 
 
The otter spent most of its time fishing and swimming or resting at the surface:
 
 
 
It also came close to shore a few times, shook, and had a look around:
 
 
I suppose their long whiskers are helpful for locating fish under water, but sometimes I'm still surprised at their skill and success.
 

No comments: