If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, November 30, 2018

The one time

The one time when you don't want to see a Peregrine Falcon?



When you're trying to count these: 


The scenario: When we've planned a shorebird count, it's the one time when I hope not to see a falcon.  But today wasn't that day.  

We try to count shorebirds (sandpipers and plovers) when they're standing on the tidal flatswhere we can scan across a relatively stationary flock to get a good count of the number of individuals.  When a falcon flies by, all of the shorebirds take off, swerve in unison to avoid the falcon, scatter, and eventually land somewhere else, making counting very difficult! 

P.S.  The shorebirds in the photo above are primarily Dunlin, with a few Sanderlings, and one Black-bellied Plover.

P.P.S.  I don't think I'm ever truly disappointed to see a Peregrine Falcon.  Although they do complicate our surveys, it always feels special to see them.

2 comments:

Doerte Mann said...

Sorry to hear the Peregrine Falcon messed with your shorebird survey. But the way the falcon looks in that picture really cracked me up, as if it knew exactly what it was doing - to mess with you, while keeping an eye on things!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Doerte! Yes, I think the falcon was checking me out. I suppose it was just curious (probably not used to seeing a person in the location I was in), but I can see what you mean by how it looks somewhat mischievous!

:) Jackie