If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Not a seal

I was doing a Harbor Seal (Phoca vitulina) survey today, slowly scanning across the shoreline to count individual seals hauled out on the rocks.

Then I did a double-take.  Hold on.  That's not a seal.


A River Otter (Lontra canadensis) was eating a fish.  The seal was more interested in napping, but two Western Gulls (Larus occidentalis) were wondering if they might snatch some of the scraps.

Eventually the otter finished eating, left the rest of the fish to the gulls, and walked down to the water's edge:


I liked being able to see its front and hind feet.
 

2 comments:

Dan S said...

Lunch with the marine mammals!

I'm Birding Right Now said...

Adorable! Great shots, Jackie.