If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, December 13, 2019

Loon, water, and light


It was another gray day in Bodega Bay, but on the way back from the post office I stopped to watch this Red-throated Loon (Gavia stellata).  (This is the loon's non-breeding plumage; it has a red throat during the breeding season.)


With the calm water and the crab boats headed out, there were gentle waves creating intriguing reflections.  It reminded me of skipping stones how many skips, or how many reflections can you see in one picture?  Here are a few examples:







The loon spent some time drifting and looking around, and some time resting with its bill tucked under its back feathers.


Maybe I was drawn to the loon because this is how I feel todaya bit tired and ready for the weekend.  :) 
 

1 comment:

Hollis said...

Marvelous reflections!