If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, December 13, 2019

Loon, water, and light


It was another gray day in Bodega Bay, but on the way back from the post office I stopped to watch this Red-throated Loon (Gavia stellata).  (This is the loon's non-breeding plumage; it has a red throat during the breeding season.)


With the calm water and the crab boats headed out, there were gentle waves creating intriguing reflections.  It reminded me of skipping stones — how many skips, or how many reflections can you see in one picture?  Here are a few examples:







The loon spent some time drifting and looking around, and some time resting with its bill tucked under its back feathers.


Maybe I was drawn to the loon because this is how I feel today — a bit tired and ready for the weekend.  :) 
 

1 comment:

Hollis said...

Marvelous reflections!