If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Best-laid plans

This afternoon I was checking on a few things along the rocky shore when from a distance I noticed something that looked like a bright yellow pine cone.  I realized that wasn't what it was, but I couldn't identify it until I got closer:



This is a cluster of Leafy Hornmouth (Ceratostoma foliatum) egg capsules.  There are two large grayish snails below the yellow capsules — those are the Leafy Hornmouths.   Although we have found their egg capsules occasionally (see the post called "Fluted" from 11 February 2014), I don't recall seeing the snails in the process of laying eggs on Bodega Head before, so it seemed worth documenting.

P.S.  The smaller yellowish snail is a different species, Paciocinebrina lurida (formerly Ocinebrina lurida).  There are other interesting invertebrates in this image, so look around!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
That is such a cool image. What interesting morphology of those egg capsules.

Carol

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Carol!

I agree! Wouldn't it be cool to have a field guide to all of the different egg capsules!?

:) Jackie