If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap of faith


At various times in the past, Eric has challenged me to find and photograph a frog for leap year.  I'm happy to say that 2020 is the year I was successful!



Here's the crazy thing.  This is the most common frog in our area, but I'm not sure what to call it.  The taxonomy is confusing and obviously more work is needed to sort out this issue.  

I'll call it a Sierran Treefrog (Pseudacris sierra) for now...but you might also see it called a Pacific Treefrog (Pseudacris regilla), and you might see the scientific name as Hyliola sierra.  In previous posts I have also called it a Pacific Chorus Frog, but the official checklist of the Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles (2017) uses treefrog, so that's what I'll use.

Happy 2020 Leap Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Leap Year to you too Jackie! Love that bubbley stuff the frog is in!
The rusty hinge frog - another name for ya! ( the vocalization )