If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, April 19, 2020

A glimpse of orange


I glimpsed a flash of orange outside of our kitchen window this afternoon and looked over to see this Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) approaching the flowers on a citrus tree.  It was only there for a few seconds, but I snapped a photo for the record.  Rufous Hummingbirds are uncommon spring migrants in Sonoma County.  They're on their way north to nest in areas between far northern California and Alaska.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Nice catch Jackie!
Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a great shot! So beautiful.
Carol

Linda S said...

Thanks for the beautiful photo. Usually I am lucky to see a couple of these each spring in my yard in Penngrove, but this year we have dozens, over several weeks. I wonder what gives--have you heard any explanation of why there are so many this year?