If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Graceful


A new nudibranch species for me Abronica abronia (formerly Cuthona abronia).  It was pretty small (only ~15 mm long) and it was on some red algae that was moving around quite a bit, but I managed a couple of photos for the record.


I love the beautiful red color at the base of the cerata — a nice match with the surrounding seaweeds!  There are also some pretty purple bands on the rhinophores and oral tentacles.


The genus and species names are apparently from the Greek habrós, meaning "graceful or delicate."  Sometimes you'll see this species referred to by the common name Graceful Aeolid.

Photographed on Bodega Head on 23 June 2020. 

3 comments:

adrienne said...

Jackie,
Your pictures and comments are gifts every day! Thank you!
I particularly love nudibranches/branchs. Used to dive with my husband in the Gulf of California during summers off from teaching. Took so many pictures, and these were my favorites. Thank you for bringing such beauty to my life, and to others. Adrienne

Lotsoflux said...

This is a comment on both yesterday’s Tunicate (“There's always something new to learn!”) and today’s Graceful Aeolid (“only ~1.5mm long”).

If ever life becomes wearisome or you think you’ve seen it all, just go online and buy yourself a new lens that’s a 10x increase over your current one, whatever that may be. You will be re-born and can start living & seeing all over again. (And, funny thing, it works equally well in either direction.)
Thanks, Jackie, for taking us all with you on these wonderful forays into the natural world.
Vishnu

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Adrienne and Vishnu! Thanks so much! I always appreciate comments and feedback, so thank you for writing.

Also, I agree about using a magnifier. I've had a 10x hand lens hanging around my neck almost every day for over 20 years now (how can it be that long?) and I have used a 20x hand lens for some other projects during the last several years. To say the least, I'm a big fan of having a hand lens available!

:) Jackie