If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, July 10, 2020

Enlightening


Wonderful morning light showing the sori (patches of spores) on a large blade of Bull Kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana).

The next photo reveals even more of the blade.  I'm curious about the darker and lighter colors of the two different patches (upper and lower) and wonder if they represent stages of spore maturity?  Perhaps someone out there can help?


4 comments:

Mark Stromberg said...

Georgia O’Keefee would have loved that pattern of color.

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Mark!

Interesting! I think I see what you mean. Maybe that abstract color combination is part of what drew me to this view of the kelp? It's somewhat reminiscent of her Pelvis Series, Red with Yellow:

http://www.georgiaokeeffe.org/pelvis-series-red-with-yellow/

Her Pink Shell with Seaweed painting came to mind, too, perhaps for the contrast between the subject and the background?

Thanks for leading me into Georgia O'Keeffe space this morning!

:) Jackie

Matt Whalen said...

Hi, Jackie!

According to Liam Coleman (PhD student and phycoholic in Patrick Martone's lab), these color differences definitely represent sorus maturation. Darker areas are older and "riper".

I hope that helps, and I hope you and Eric are well. We miss you, but we are grateful to be able to stay in touch with your explorations through your blog.

Best,

Matt

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Matt!

Great to hear from you! And thanks so much for checking with Liam and passing on the Nereocystis spore information. I'm glad to know how to interpret the different colors!

Say Hello! to Sarah!

:) Jackie