If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Catch of the day

I was working at my desk when Eric came by to let me know there was a whale close to shore.  I went out to see if it was still there and didn't see it, but something else caught the corner of my eye while scanning for signs of the whale.  It was strange I didn't immediately have an idea about what I was seeing.  From a distance it looked like a piece of driftwood, but it appeared to be swimming, so I kept watching as it approached the shore.  Here's my first view with the zoom lens:

 
Things were happening kind of quickly, so while looking through the camera I still wasn't quite sure what it was, but I kept taking photos:

 
Perhaps you can tell that this is a mammal swimming with a large fish?  In the previous photo, you can just barely see the mammal's nose while it held the fish crosswise in its mouth.
 
I finally processed that this was a River Otter (Lontra canadensis).  I don't think I've seen one with such a large fish, so although the otter disappeared behind some rocks, I had an idea about where it might be headed to eat the fish, so I checked to see if the otter had come ashore and whether I had a chance to identify the fish.  Here's the next view, zoomed in from far away (luckily I had a large lens on the camera!):
 
 
And another showing the length of the fish:
 
 
Wow!
 
I'm pretty sure this is a Monkeyface Prickleback (Cebidichthys violaceus).  I did a quick measurement from the photo and estimated that the prickleback was about as long as the otter's body (minus the tail).  And knowing the average length of an adult otter's body, I was able to estimate that the prickleback was ~27 inches long.  I read that the maximum size of Monkeyface Pricklebacks is ~30 inches, so this is about as big as they get.
 
One more picture of the otter starting to eat its prize:
 
 
I'd call that the catch of the day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a fabulous visual story. Thank you.

Alice Chan said...

Wow! All I can say is wow, that's an amazing catch - for both you AND the otter.

Limantour walker said...

Fascinating! Thanks for your posts!

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks so much, everyone! A fun and unexpected encounter!

:) Jackie

gretchenjoanna said...

You seem ever on alert, attentive to notice creatures and every aspect of your surroundings, and it is a privilege to share the rewards even vicariously, by way of your images and stories. I'm so glad you know how to use your camera in these pursuits!