If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, January 24, 2022

Disappearing act?

Back in December, I was trying to photograph this fish in the low intertidal zone:

 
I turned my head for a second and when I looked back I couldn't find the fish again.  I started scanning the pool, and then I noticed a silvery green-blue color out of the corner of my eye:
 
 
Whoops!  The first fish had been caught by a second fish!
 
I could use some help with the identifications.  Any ideas?  I'm wondering if the first fish is a Topsmelt (Atherinops affinis).  The second fish appears to be a sculpin, but I'm not sure which species.  If you have any thoughts about either one, I'd be interested.

2 comments:

adrienne said...

What an amazing find! Love the colors. Where did you shoot this?

Lotsoflux said...

Amazing camouflage on that sculpin. Hard to see it, even when you're 'seeing' it.
And excellent photo capture too.