If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Under the cypress

  

In the shade, but it was nice to see this Varied Thrush (Ixoreus naevius) on Bodega Head a couple of days ago.  

P.S.  I've written about Varied Thrushes in the past -- for more info, check out these posts:

"Eating berries in the shadows" on 11 February 2013

"Shiver me thrushes" on 5 December 2013

"Irruption" on 28 December 2014

4 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Oh, what a great photo! I've heard the songs of thrushes so many times. I remember the Irruption of December 2014 which was especially poignant for me personally as I underwent a very serious medical event that might have been it. Anyway, I never actually have seen a thrush, let alone taken any photos of them. So what a treat. I love your blog, Jackie.

Tonight my wife and I will be bike camping at Bodega Dunes State Park in the upper loop. I'll keep my ears open to the chorus of birds.

Alice Chan said...

A year when these beauties show up is a very special year. I'm keeping my ears open for them...

Alice Chan said...

Dan Gurney, I remember that irruption, too. It was amazing!!

Jackie Sones said...

Dan -- Keep your eyes open for thrushes in the campground! They could be foraging on the ground below the cypress trees -- looking somewhat robin-like in their movements.

Alice -- Let me know if you hear any Varied Thrushes singing! I'd like to hear them this year, but I'd need to visit a more wooded area.

Jackie