If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Seeking your porpoise in life

  

Well, this is a bit of a preview, but I wanted to share an observation from today (12 March 2022).  This morning I noticed a few Harbor Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) off Bodega Head.  Conditions were good for documenting them (flat calm, gray light), so I went to get my camera to try to get a few photographs.  I was amazed to see some relatively large groups of porpoise up to 15-20 individuals at a time.  I'm used to seeing 1-2 individuals, but larger groups of six or more seemed unusual.  They kept swimming by, mostly heading south, until I had estimated well over 100 individuals in about one hour!

I'll include some more photos in another post, but I thought I'd share one tonight.  You can click on the image for a larger view.  Look for their small triangular dorsal fins.

No comments: