If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, June 25, 2022

3 for 3,000

Whew, well it's hard to believe, but this is post #3000!  (3000 posts over 10.5 years.)  So here's a little video clip to mark the occasion.

This is an older video (from 2018), but I've wanted to share it for a while.  It shows a River Otter family (a mother and three pups) on a morning outing — waking up from a nap, using a communal latrine, sliding down some Feather Boa kelp into the water, swimming along the shoreline together.  And it includes audio!  I've written about otter calls before the pups use a high-pitched bird-like chirp to keep in touch with the rest of the family.

On this day I was working quietly in the low intertidal zone when I noticed this otter family swimming by.  They swam past me, climbed up onto the seaweed-covered rocks, and curled up for a nap!  I didn't want to disturb them, so I kept working and watched for activity out of the corner of my eye.  Eventually they woke up and that's when this video clip starts. 

I didn't know the otters were going to make their way back towards where I was working.  You'll see that eventually they notice me.  One of the pups makes sure the others know about me, too, and then they continue along the shoreline.

I hope you enjoy this little window into the life of River Otters.  Thanks so much for checking into the Natural History of Bodega Head blog.  Knowing you're out there inspires me to keep learning and to keep sharing.  Who knows how far beyond #3000 we'll go!

 
 
P.S.  Many thanks to Eric for helping to edit this video, and for participating in so many NHBH blog posts!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this milestone, Jackie! I'm amazed that after 3,000 posts, you still find inspiring observations and insights to share almost every day. Thank you! --ES

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you for your blog. I enjoy learning about the natural history of Bodega Head through your photos and commentary. Your 3,000 posts are a great gift. I value your generous contribution to this world. You have given me a much greater appreciation of the wonders of nature nearby. May you continue!

Jackie Sones said...

Many thanks, ES + Dan! More natural history adventures and stories await!

:) Jackie

Bob R said...

Thanks for this interesting post and then sharing the river otter video. I'm curious about the "acorn" name for that worm. Can you share any information on why it is an acorn worm? Congratulations on your milestone.

Alan Wight said...

Congratulations on 3000 posts Jackie! I've learned a lot from your awesome blog! Your efforts are much appreciated.

Bill Wolpert, Architect said...

Congratulations, Jackie!
I enjoy your posts every day and often share them with friends. I have learned a lot from you.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! That's a lot of natural history! Thanks for all the terrific photos and stories. My intertidal encyclopedia. Congratulations and never stop!
KB

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, everyone!

I really appreciate your support and feedback. It means a lot!

Jackie

Jackie Sones said...

Also, for Bob R.'s question about the name "acorn worm" (see post on 26 June 2022) --

From what I've read, the name might come from the shape of the proboscis in some species of hemichordates. That might not be obvious from the species I've shown, but in other species the proboscis is much shorter and some might say that it resembles an acorn. There's a helpful example on this web page:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/1911_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica/Balanoglossus

But I'll also mention that this explanation isn't definitive. I haven't encountered a source yet that traces a direct line back to the origin of the "acorn worm" name.

Jackie



Nancy said...

Amazing work! It's only been a few years since I was introduced to your blog and I look forward to every single one. May you have many more years of fantastic nature observations :-)
The otter footage is spectacular! 2 weeks ago I was doing my BeachWatch survey and an NROT emerged from the surf and ran straight up the beach towards me. As they got fairly close, I made a gentle sound (perhaps I should not have?) but I didn't want them to freak out if they discovered me at my feet. They stopped, tilted their head then turned tail and ran along the water's edge instead. Highlight of the day!
Thanks to you and Eric for creating and sharing so much, particularly after what must amount to long work days; you are reaching a grateful audience.
Cheers!
Nancy

Alice Chan said...

Jackie, this is amazing and wonderful. Thank you for making our day better!

Andrea said...

That’s amazing Jackie! Thank you so much for the incredible scientific knowledge and artistic eye you bring to bear on this blog—I appreciate both equally. Not to mention the stamina required to maintain a blog for so long! I share your posts with my family every day; the reminder of the richness, wonder, and beauty of this world are so deeply needed now, and always. Thank you.