If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Sailor fish

  

While tidepooling last week I looked down to see a rippling movement below me and soon realized it was the undulating fin of a fish. 

The fish was swimming towards a ledge, but before it disappeared I took two quick shots for the record.

Meet the Sailfin Sculpin (Nautichthys oculofasciatus)!  

The scientific name is very descriptive "Nautichthys" means sailor fish, and "oculofasciatus" means eye-banded.  Below you can see both features a very tall fin extending over the head (like a sail) and a dark stripe running vertically through the eye:

 
I hope to get a better picture of this species some day, but for now I hope you enjoy this introduction!

No comments: