If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Storm bird

 
I was doing some work on the coast today when some movement out my window caught my eye.  It was quite stormy and the light was dim, but I thought I could see a dark-winged bird with white flashes in the wings.  I haven't seen a jaeger so close to shore off Bodega Head, but sure enough, a jaeger was struggling in the wind and landed on the bluff!

Here's another quick shot for the record -- my first Pomarine Jaeger (Stercorarius pomarinus) on shore in Bodega Bay:

 

In this area jaegers are mostly found pretty far offshore, but with recent storm conditions, I can see why this one was sheltering on land:

 
Waves were in the 18-20 foot range this afternoon with winds at 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph.
 

No comments: