If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Barnacles, yum!

  

Back in late June, someone kindly alerted me to the presence of some Onchidoris bilamellata over at Doran Beach.  I swung by and took a few quick photos.  I still need to go back to see if I might be able to get some better pictures, but I thought I'd share this one for now.  

Onchidoris is unusual among nudibranchs in that it feeds on barnacles (!).  The mottled brown-and-white nudibranch is in the top center of the photo.  In the bottom right you can also see a nice chiton (note the shell plates) next to the barnacles. 

I wrote about Onchidoris ~8 years ago, so for some more photos and a little more info, check out the post called "The barnacle-eaters" on 24 June 2014.

No comments: