If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, August 18, 2023

Into the night

  

I know I showed a White-lined Sphinx Moth (Hyles lineata) photo not too long ago (see "Lined up" on 13 August 2023), but that one had washed up on the beach and tonight we had a beautiful moth fly into our house.  Eric caught it and when we went to release it outside it sat on his fingers for a couple of minutes.

I haven't worked with sphinx moths up close, so it was interesting to see their antennae.  Above you can see that the antennae taper towards the outer tips and then are hooked at the very end.  And in the photo below you can see that the antennae are lamellate on the ventral side, with lots of fine divisions:

 
This one flew off into the night, but now I want to see another one up close!  Photographed in Cotati on 18 August 2023.

2 comments:

Sybold said...

I love when you post diverse creatures!
Your eye is such a wonderful guide for learning about
life forms of all kinds.
As always, my great thanks-
PS: Any Ceanothus silkmoths (Hyalophora euryalus)
sightings?

Limantour walker said...

Looks like it was examining you as you were examining it!