If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, February 26, 2024

Tortoiseshells, ladies, and an admiral

  

Remarkably, air temperatures reached ~70°F (~21°C) in Bodega Bay on 24 February 2024.  I was doing a lot of desk work that day, but while eating lunch we saw quite a few butterflies flying by from north to south.  Eventually I went out to identify which species were involved.  

It was somewhat hard to tell at first because the butterflies weren't stopping, but with persistence I discovered that the majority were California Tortoiseshells (Nymphalis californica) see above.

25 February 2024 was also a warm and sunny day, and although we didn't go for a walk until late in the afternoon, Eric and I came across a couple of West Coast Ladies (Vanessa annabella) in Cotati...

 

...and one Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta):

 
Tomorrow morning there's a frost advisory in Cotati, so I'm guessing these butterflies will be tucked away until the next warm day.

2 comments:

eyeper said...

Hi, Jackie. Great to catch that tortoiseshell in flight! I have been enjoying the blue hairstreaks out by the Pt Reyes hostel, and mourning cloaks here and there on my backwoods bike jaunts.

On another subject, I think it was a year or two ago that I might have queried you about a False Killer Whale sighting I might have had off Limantour. Do you recall that - or any other info about one straying up around here?

Thanks and keep up the inspiring photography!

Dennis Olson

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Dennis!

Hmmm...I don't remember a question about False Killer Whales. I'm aware of them being seen in Southern California, e.g., off San Diego.

I have seen the messages on North Bay Birds about the cetacean sighting off Abbotts Lagoon recently. I agree that minke whale is more likely. You'd certainly want to rule out minke before thinking about a more southern species like a False Killer Whale.

I have seen minke whales several times off Bodega Head (and some farther north in Sonoma County/Mendocino County) and on pelagic trips to Bodega Canyon/Cordell Bank -- although I've observed more minkes than I've photographed. They're fast!

https://bodegahead.blogspot.com/2013/07/breaking-surface.html

https://bodegahead.blogspot.com/2016/08/two-more-cetaceans.html

Jackie