If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Pass it on

This afternoon, we noticed a raven washing a food item in a shallow fountain pool in Occidental:


Seconds later, another raven flew in, and the first bird passed the food item to the second bird!


They flew off, but returned later, and the same thing happened — the larger individual fed the smaller individual.  Here are two pictures showing that sequence:



Is this a male feeding a female?  Or an adult feeding a juvenile?  The smaller bird appeared all glossy to me, and I'd expect some duller feathers on a juvenile, but I don't have much experience judging the age of ravens.  Below is one more picture of both birds.  What do you think is going on with this interaction?


3 comments:

Asian Mussel said...

With no avian training whatsoever (with the exception of a few penguin related forays), I'm guessing it's a parent feeding a juvenile.

Just seems more plausible, no?

Unknown said...

in my limited experience with young crows (a bit different I realize) juveniles can be quite glossy,and appear quite mature even when they cont. to beg for food.

Jackie Sones said...

I agree that it seems more likely to be an adult feeding a juvenile. We've seen them a few more times today, and I've been trying to observe more clues. I'll keep looking!