If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Pattern in the sand

A couple of weeks ago we encountered this interesting pattern in the sand:


We followed it and eventually found what was responsible, but I thought I'd give you a chance to guess.  

If you need some sense of scale, the width of the pattern (measured across the markings from top to bottom) is ~3.5 cm (~1.5 inches).   

The answer will be revealed tomorrow night!
 

4 comments:

lngndvs said...

I was thinking a fish, perhaps an eel. Otherwise a lizard.

Uncle!!

BTW I've been checking in from time to time, to this amazing blog for a few months. Thank you!

Hollis said...

I'm always so intrigued by these kinds of patterns in the sand, Jackie. Hmmm - too wide for a toe-dragging caterpillar or insect. We need a field guide for tracks of inverts! Anxious to see what you found at the end

John W. Wall said...

I was thinking beetle, but the drag marks didn't compute. How about dragonfly larva?

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, all,

Good guesses! Not sure how much I should reveal at this time? ;) It is a terrestrial invertebrate. And here's another hint that might or might not help: The sighting was coincident with rain.

More later!

:) Jackie