If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, February 4, 2019

Approaching from the west

Well, I know I owe you some more photos of the mystery close-up from 2 February 2019.  But...there was a football game to watch yesterday, and there was some interesting weather today.  So I'll show a few seascapes tonight and then I'll get back to the mystery tomorrow.

Today the weather forecast called for showers with local gale force wind gusts...and they weren't kidding!

At one point while I was sitting at my desk today, the sky darkened noticeably.  I went out to see what was happening.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]



Storm clouds over the ocean and rain showers approaching Bodega Head from the west:



Soon after I stepped outside, the temperature dropped, the wind picked up, and I knew I better put on a rain coat!



I went back inside to see if this squall was visible on the radar (below).  Bodega Head is hidden by the red patch below and to the left of Sebastopol.  (Rain intensity increases from green --> yellow --> red --> purple.)



By the way, did you notice the small patch of blue just above and to the west of Sebastopol?  That indicates possible snow in the Cazadero area!  I'm curious did anyone see snow up there today?

 
(Radar maps from Accuweather.com)

2 comments:

Kat said...

Early this morning, we got snow in Camp Meeker, at 400 ft. elevation.

Kathleen said...

Yes, I was driving down from Creighton Ridge Rd area and there was lots of snow coming down around 3:30pm. Didn't see it stick on the ground. Beautiful!